The ministry of Mass Coordinator is a fairly recent development in the life of the Church, arising out of a need for organization of the physical needs of the mass and the coordination of the various ministries, particularly in parishes where the priest is serving in one or more “mission” churches and/or there are visiting or retired priests present.
The Mass Coordinator provides a link between the worshiping community and the presider and ensures that everything is in place for a smooth and prayerful celebration of the Eucharist. The mass coordinator is first and foremost a member of the assembly, called, through the sacrament of baptism, to prayer and service. All duties must be carried out in this spirit.
Responsibilities Before Mass (Some or all of these may be necessary)
- Arrive at least 30 minutes before mass time.
- Prepare worship space, i.e., unlock doors, turn on lights and heat as needed, turn on PA system andcheck that all microphones are in place, including portable.
- Prepare liturgical books: lectionary and sacramentary (page numbers in Ordo).
- Prepare priest’s vestments (check color in Ordo).
- Check that Prayers of the Faithful and announcements are in place.
- Confirm that all altar servers, ministers of communion and of the word are present; find substitutes as needed.
- Ensure that everything is in place on the credence table: priest’s chalice/purificator/corporal; hand towel and finger bowl; cruet of water; extra chalices, purificators and ciboria as needed.
- Ensure that tabernacle key is in place.
- Ensure that everything is in place at the “back” of the church, i.e., gifts for procession, basket for money, etc.
- Be watchful and ready to step in to “fix” any problems that arise.
- Any other duties as instructed by presider.
After Mass (Some or all of these may be necessary)
- Make sure all sacred vessels, vestments, books, etc. are put away and ready for the next mass.
- Turn off all lights, heat, PA system as necessary.
- Lock inside/outside doors of church as required.